January 29, 2009
Well I plan to do a lot of things, whether I find the time is another matter..
- I plan to look at disused, discarded or removed railway lines in Sydney (here’s a short list: The line from Richmond across the Nepean and up the mountains; the line from Campbelltown to Camden; the Toongabbie private line to the Associated Blue Metal Company quarry near the CSIRO’s sheep research station at Prospect that survives as an embankment in a field; Widemere, same area but servicing the Sydney and Suburban Blue Metal Quarry Ltd, running from the south eastern side of Prospect Reservoir down to the main railway at Fairfield; and the private zig zag railway at Thornleigh)
- “Old” roads, like Old Cowpasture Road, now mostly known as the Horsley Drive
- Disused ferry crossings, like the Georges River crossing at the southern end of Forest Road - still largely intact. Or the ferrymasters’ cottage and remains of the punt infrastructure at the Punt Bridge, East Gosford
- The remains of old bridges, like the original Iron Cove Bridge at Gladesville, still clearly visible, or the burnt out remains of the Lane Cove River Bridge at North Ryde; the original low-level Roseville Bridge, of which the snaking approach roads tell the tale
- Old tram routes, especially the steam trams such as the line to Parramatta from Castle Hill, or from Redbank Wharf
- And anything else I stumble over.